A How-to guide on solving Windows Hardware Error Code 83
(Fail on INT 24. (code 83))
Read our guide on solving Windows Error Code 83 and use these tips. It will help you to troubleshoot your issue.
If you are trying to access information stored on a hard drive or CD/DVD drive and there are hardware problems that make it impossible to open the files requested, you will receive Windows error code 83 on your computer screen.
What you should do in the case of Windows Hardware error #83
Windows error code 83 is a hardware error that makes it impossible to access information on a disk drive. You may get a message after the initial error that says “Abort, retry, ignore or fail?” You can take the option to retry a few times to see if the error resolves itself, but most times this step alone will not be sufficient. You will more than likely have to take some other steps to check the hardware first.Here are the steps you should take:
- If you have an alternative piece of hardware that you know is good and can use instead, try swapping that piece of hardware in to see if the error message goes away. If the alternative device works, but the first device does not, you may have a faulty piece of hardware.
- After testing an alternative disk drive, reconnect the drive that gave you the errors and try to use it again.
- If the hardware forces Windows to return the error message again, right click on My Computer.
- Choose Properties.
- Browse to the Device Manager tab.
- Double-click on CD Rom and remove all CDs.
- Restart your computer and allow Windows to auto-detect the drive.
- Follow the prompts to reinstall the device.
These steps should resolve the error, unless the underlying cause is faulty hardware. If the steps do not work, contact your hardware's manufacturer for information about the problem. You may have to get a replacement device or get the current device repaired.
To learn more about this error, please check out our Error Analyzer software.